Congregation shaarie torah seeks director of education
ANNOUNCEMENT BELOW | View in downloadable PDF
Apply by Monday, February 3, 2020 | Click here for Full-Time Education Director Position Description
Congregation Shaarie Torah is a warm and welcoming multi-generational Conservative synagogue located in NW Portland. Shaarie Torah is seeking a full-time Director of Education to support and develop our congregation’s educational programs. We are looking for a creative educational leader who can work as a team with our clergy, Executive Director, Education Committee, and lay leaders. This person will play a key role in Shaarie Torah’s continued evolution and growth, and be excited about transmitting Jewish knowledge to the children and adults in our community. The candidate will be enthusiastic about developing and implementing innovative congregational education. As Director of Education, you will work to instill a love of Jewish learning and living in all of our individuals and families, those with significant Judaic knowledge and those with little background, addressing the needs of a wide variety of learners. In this role, you will be responsible for creating meaningful Jewish experiences for all members of Shaarie Torah’s community.
About Congregation Shaarie Torah
With 250 member families, we have a growing religious school program, and a small but vibrant adult education program. Tradition – both religious and communal – plays a central role at Shaarie Torah, and at the same time the congregation is engaging in a process of renewal that has already begun to attract new members. This is an opportunity to join the leadership team of a synagogue at a moment of change, and to help shape the future of one of Portland’s oldest congregations.
Required Qualifications and Skills
● Knowledge of Jewish traditions, Hebrew language proficiency, and a commitment to Jewish life and Jewish education.
● Conversant in Conservative Judaism.
● Demonstrated ability to create and maintain systems for organizing a vibrant school community of parents, teachers, and children.
● Adept at communicating enthusiasm to learners of all ages.
● Ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with children, parents, and leadership, both verbally and in writing.
● Ability to be at synagogue on Shabbat.
● Ability to be present at religious school.
● Ability to be present at major synagogue events.
● Charismatic and approachable leader, good at building meaningful collaborative relationships with clergy, other educators, staff, and lay leaders.
● Excellent organizational, communication, management, and technological skills.
● Bachelor’s degree in Jewish Education or the equivalent; Master’s degree in Jewish Education preferred.
● Minimum of five (5) years teaching traditional and experiential Jewish education.
Salary range of $60,000 to $72,000, depending on experience, plus competitive benefits. This is a full-time, exempt position.
How to Apply
Please submit the following by Monday, February 3, 2020:
1. A cover letter that reflects how your experience qualifies you to become the Educational Director of Congregation Shaarie Torah
2. A complete chronological resume.
Send via email as a PDF to ED4CST@shaarietorah.org, attention CST Education Committee. Please put “Director of Education for CST” in the subject line. Expect an acknowledgement of receipt. All inquiries will be handled confidentially.
Shaarie Torah values diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity.
For the Full-Time Education Director Position Description, please click here.
follow us online
Check out what's been happening at Shaarie Torah lately.